Thursday, April 30, 2020

Working on locomotives

It's been a while since I've posted an update. I've actually been working a lot on the layout, although I thought I would be getting a lot more done, but my hours have increased by 40+ hours/week, and we don't have nurses for Emily during the day, since she's normally at school.

But I find that I often get more done when I'm really busy, simply because I have to make the time available to get to it at all. And lately it's been a question of either working on the layout or blogging about, so working on the layout has taken the priority.

I did have a chance to participate in the NMRA virtual meet on Facebook, and presented a clinic. Chris posted links to them on his blog. He did one as well. I think I'll be presenting another at the May 30th one.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of work I've been doing on some RS-2s (New Haven class DERS-2b). I'll need #0502 and #0503. Again, Chris has extensive posts about how he did #0510 on his blog, no need to repeat that. I will provide more information as to any differences in a later post.

In the meantime, some pictures. I'm using the Proto 1000 model, as Chris did.

Experiment modifying a Kato part.

A different approach, using less of the Kato part with the Proto 1000 railing.

 I ordered some KV Models fan grate and fan.
While waiting for them to arrive, I'm using the shell from #0510 as a test. 

A minor distortion on part of the fan housing.


  1. Using a 5/8" spade bit on a HO plastic locomotive shell, fantastic, big aggressive tool to get the job done! I love it, but you knew I would.


    1. Yep - I was thinking of you when I did it!